The Toshiba Canvio® Desk Desktop External Hard Drive is easy to set up and is ideal for expanding your storage needs. This drive offers high capacity storage in a small compact design. Built-In USB 3.0 Interface significantly improves file transfer performance for large media files and dramatically minimizes the wait time for backup.
- 3 TB Storage
- Aesthetics and accessories are acceptable and what I would expect for a 99.00 to $129.99 priced drive.
- Sturdy design, firm contacts, low noise
- After 3 months, it will crash
- Not a universal USB cable, can only be purchased thru Toshiba.
- Horrible Tech Support from Toshiba.
- Toshiba is making me pay for shipping their dead hard drive back to them. Lame customer service.
- Upon initial use, the drive would hang with sustained transfers and inevitably failed after approximately one hour of use. Transfer rates were about 14 to 25 MB/s, or very poor, while it worked.
- It has quit to be detected by any laptop, desktop, working under Windows 7 or XP, Linux Ubuntu, even by Sony blue ray player (via usb connection) exactly in 2 weeks. It does not even show a corrupt HDD or even any device whatsoever in Linux Ubuntu or Windows XP, 7. Its not seen simply by BIOS while booting the computer either.
Top 10 Most Helpful Customer Reviews from Amazon and Newegg
- Poor Customer Service: Lasted 2 wks after install at customer site – Toshiba wanted $180 holding fee to replace the drive under warranty. Told them we would send them the drive and they could then send another one – “That’s not how we do it” was the reponse from Toshiba. I just threw it in the trash. Last product I will ever order from Toshiba
- Terrible: I have had this drive for just a few months and it has already failed. It would regularly disconnect from my computer and now it is not recognized by Windows.
- Drive failed, Toshiba makes me pay shipping: Toshiba is making me pay for shipping their dead hard drive back to them. Lame customer service.
- No Tech Support: I received the drive which had an operating issue ( Which I now know how to resolve)but when I called Toshiba for Tech Support… they told me There ias NO tech support whatsoever for this Product… Soo…with that in mind, I returned it to my place of purchase for a complete refund. And I bought a Western Digital, which I knew has EXCELLENT tech support. I refuse to buy/own a product from a company who could care less about me (the end user).
- Died quickly: This product is fantastic if you only need to store 3tb of data for a week or so.
- Died after 2 weeks: After copying almost 3 TB off my old drives to condense my collection to one HD, the drive died after 2 weeks later. Getting cyclic redundancy error and windows wont see drive-cant even try to reformat. Tried on multiple computers. Worst part is I deleted the data in my old HDs, so I lost about 5 years, and almost 2 TB of data. I’m mad because I lost years of work.
- Avoid the Toshiba 3TB Canvio external hard drive: The drive was admittedly inexpensive; however, the value for the price is poor because it failed almost immediately and Toshiba support is mind-bogglingly poor. This is my first and last external Toshiba hard drive. The hard drive in my enclosure is a Hitachi HDS5C3030BLE630 (5,700 RPM, 32MB Cache, and 14 ms access time).
- So far so good…Not so fast! We’ll, as fate would have it I have spoken too soon! Just as of this weekend the backup is not completing as it errors out after some percentage complete. Just doesn’t finish. I believe some sectors have already gone bad. Called the customer service line and their automatic response is to send you to their website “acclaim.toshiba.com” where you basically have to send it in as a claim. Luckily I am within the 30 day window with Amazon so I am returning it.
Series: Canvio Desk
Interface: USB 3.0
RPM: 5700 RPM
Average Seek Time: 14ms
Form Factor: 3.5″
Dimensions: 6.57″ x 5.08″ x 1.65″
High capacity storage in a compact desktop design
Versatile orientation that fits your space in your home or office
Preloaded easy-to-use backup software
Secure backup with password
Schedule automatic backup
File, folder and full system backup and recovery
USB plug and play
USB 3.0 + USB 2.0 compatible
Formatted NTFS for Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
Requires reformatting for Mac OS X Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard
Available USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port
USB 3.0 port required for high speed transfers
Toshiba Canvio Desk Hard Drive
USB 3.0 Cable
AC Power Adapter
Quick Start Guide
NTI Backup Now EZ (preloaded on drive)